Fuel Your magic
Rapunzel’s Braided Bread
Rapunzel’s Braided Bread Makes Baking Day the “Best Day Ever!”
Inspired by the high-spirited Rapunzel’s 70-foot locks, this golden-brown loaf with a raspberry cream cheese center will put a smile on even the grouchiest pub thug’s face. If you’ve got little ones at home who are eager to help in the kitchen, have them spread the filling and help roll the loaf before braiding. If there is any filling left, we certainly won’t judge if you let them lick the spoon.
PREP & ASSEMBLY TIME: 12 HR
COOK & TIME: 20 min
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/16 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- 5 blueberries
- 3 strawberries
How to Make It:
- Begin by combining the water, yeast, canola oil and honey in a medium bowl. Stir once and set aside for 5 minutes to activate the yeast.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Once activated, combine the wet and dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to gently stir until thoroughly mixed into a sticky, but firm dough. If too dry, add warm water, one teaspoon at a time. If too wet, add flour, one teaspoon at a time.
- Cover the bowl with a dish towel and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- In the meantime, stir sour cream and cream cheese together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the frozen raspberries and cane sugar in a small saucepan over low heat until the berries can be smashed with a spoon into a jam-like consistency. Then let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- After 10 minutes, the dough should be a bit larger in size. Place onto a floured surface and knead 2-3 times before rolling out into a rough rectangle about 1/4” thick.
- Stir the raspberries into the cream cheese mix and spread onto the dough in a thin, even layer. Keep a 1-inch border of dough on the edge.
- Roll the dough lengthwise onto itself and seal the edge by pinching the dough together with your fingers. You should have one long roll.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the roll down the center, starting from the middle.
- Begin braiding the dough by placing one segment on top of the other, twisting to keep the exposed part on top.
- Place on a floured cookie sheet or parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes. Remove, lightly cover with tinfoil, and bake another 10 minutes, until the edges are toasty and a knife or cake tester can be inserted and removed clean. Then let cool.
- To finish, add blueberries and sliced strawberries on top. Cut off the green leaves and make 4 slices from the bottom of the strawberry towards the top, leaving the top intact. Gently fan the slices beneath the blueberries to resemble flower petals.
- Slice and serve!
The Disney Check is a quick and easy way to identify healthier food options. The Disney Check can be found in stores, online, on-air, at Disney themes parks, and other places where Disney products are sold. To learn more, visit DisneyCheck.com.
JOIN THE EXPERIENCE
BECOME A PREFERRED GUEST
Sign up for the latest updates for upcoming shows in your area, including special offers.