PUA’S ISLAND RICE
Snacks inspired by Pua?! “You’re Welcome!” The sweet coconut rice and mango make this island recipe the perfect afterschool snack or surprise for your favorite Wayfinder at your next Moana movie night.
PREP & ASSEMBLY TIME: 1 HR
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 3/4 cup uncooked sweet sticky rice
- 1/3 cup canned light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 medium-ripe mango, peeled, sliced and cut into triangles and circles to make 6 pig noses and 12 pig ears
- 1 tbsp raisin
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Steam the rice according to package directions in a rice cooker or in a fine mesh sieve over a pot of boiling water. Set aside.
- In a separate pot over medium heat, combine the coconut milk, honey and salt. Stir until combined. Turn off the heat, add the steamed rice to the pot of coconut milk mixture and gently fold to incorporate. Let the coconut syrup absorb into the rice for 15 minutes while cooling. Allow the rice to cool covered in the refrigerator
- Once chilled, shape the rice into 6 equal balls using your hands (each ball is about 1/4 cup of rice). Kids can help with this part. (If rice sticks to hands, rinse hands with warm water as needed, or rice balls can be formed tightly in cling wrap then removed). Place the rice balls into small bento boxes or onto plates.
- Add the mango ears and noses to make the pig faces. Set the raisins for the eyes and nostrils. Kids can help with this part.
- Enjoy immediately or serve chilled for up to 3 days.!
The Disney Check is a quick and easy way to identify healthier food options. The Disney Check can be found in stores, online, on-air, at Disney themes parks, and other places where Disney products are sold. To learn more, visit DisneyCheck.com.